Democratic Governance is a prerequisite for the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. Good democratic governance stems from the encounter between a representative, well-run state on one hand and informed, engaged, active citizens on the other. UNDP assists the Governemnt of Ukraine in advancing the democratic policies and practices needed to accelerate progress on human development, by:
- Advancing administrative and territorial reforms;
- Empowering civil society;
- Promoting decentralization and local governance;
- Advocating for human rights and gender equality;
- Ensuring that all Ukrainian citizens can enjoy access to justice; and
- Supporting legal empowerment of disadvantaged and vulnerable groups and anti-corruption.