Integrating Rio Conventions Provisions into Ukraine’s National Policy Framework
The project supports Ukraine in fulfilling its international obligations under the three Rio Conventions - Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Convention to Combat Desertification and Drought (CCD), and Framework Convention on Climate Change (FCCC) - and in addressing the global environmental issues which impact the country’s social and economic wellbeing. It aims to integrate the provisions of the Rio Conventions into the country’s broader national development framework and to enhance capacities to meet and sustain the commitments under the Conventions.
- Integrate the principles and criteria that frame the three Rio Conventions into Ukraine's key sectoral development policies by developing a Sustainable Development Strategy (SDS) that fully integrates global environmental priorities.
- Enhance institutional and individual capacities to implement the improved sectoral policies, programmes, plans and legislation at the regional level.
- Promote a greater understanding of the complex and dynamic inter-dependencies among environment, economy and social development policies.
- A national Sustainable Development Strategy for Ukraine until 2030 (SDS) is developed which fully integrates global environmental priorities.
- A Roadmap for SDS is produced with expensive engagement of stakeholders
- Expert advice provided to support the Government with policies that accelerate transfer to sustainable development for Ukraine
- Implementation of the Rio Conventions promoted through provision to the eight line ministries of recommendations based on SWOT and Gap analysis of sectoral legislation
- Capacity building and awareness raising activities implemented via regional initiatives to mainstream Rio Conventions implementation
- The knowledge gaps of the line ministries and the general public with regard to the environmental priorities set in the Rio Conventions identified and addressed via targeted educational tools
- Increased awareness and advocacy about environmental issues through media trainings, PSA, education modules and competitions in schools and public dialogues.
Global Environment Facility US$ 900,000
Reports and key publications:
- Sustainable Development Strategy for Ukraine by 2030: 2017 Draft
- Implementing the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals in Ukraine: analysis of government strategies and public policy: Summary
- Ukrainian Populations’ Perception of the Sustainable Development: Analitical Report
- Incorporation of the recommendations regarding implementation of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change in Ukraine: Analytical Report
- Mapping SDG indicators report: Analytical Report
- Implementing UN Convention on Biological Diversity in Ukraine: Analytical Report
- Implementating UN Convention to Combat Desertification in Ukraine: Analytical Report
SWOT- and gap analysis and recommendations regarding implementation of Rio Conventions (in Ukrainian)
- Social Protection
- Environment & Natural Resources
- Regional & Local Development
- Education & Science
- Transport & Transport Policy