Support to the Social Sector Reform in Ukraine
What is the project about
The project supports the Government of Ukraine and the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine in accelerating the implementation of the reforms in the social sector and achieving Ukraine’s short- and mid-term social and economic development goals.
How are We Carrying out Our Mission?
The project supports implementation of the reforms in the area of social services delivery system, pension system, employment policy, poverty reduction policy, as well as administrative reform in the social sector.
During the period from the second half of 2011 till early 2012, the Project provided advisory support to the reforming of the pension system of Ukraine, as well as to the reforming the social security and assistance systems, which included conducting of the functional assessment and elaboration of recommendations to reflect new functions in legislative and administrative structures.
Since 2012 the Project has been providing support in the implementation of the reforms in the area of social services delivery, including introduction of a decentralized social service delivery system, diversification of the menu of social services, elaboration of standards and introduction of quality assurance system for social services, and development of the market for social services delivery among public social service providers and at the community level.
Since 2014 the Project started to provide advisory support in employment area, and since 2015 Project experts will join the elaboration of poverty reduction strategy for Ukraine.
Advisory support is provided through conducting functional assessment and research, elaboration of recommendations, developing new or amending existing legislation, preparing guidelines and training manuals, providing personnel training.
The Project involved best national and foreign experts, research and consulting organizations.
What have we accomplished so far
Strategic papers with policy recommendations were prepared and disseminated to national partners on:
- pension reform (English version is available here);
- administrative reform in the system of social support;
- reforming the social sector of Ukraine;
- functions of social services' staff;
- optimization of territorial centres,
- the matrix of packages of social services;
- qualification characteristics of social workers;
- introduction of the model for the social services’ provision to families and individuals who are in difficult life circumstances through the creation of integrated centres of social services and the redistribution of functions;
- increasing access to subsidies for housing and communal services (the report is with English summary);
- improving the voucher programme for adult education (in particular, reports were developed: “Voucher system: international experience” (English version of the report is available here), “Voucher system in Ukraine: results of the survey”, “Voucher system in Ukraine: recommendations for reform measures in three stages”, and “Final report on the voucher system in Ukraine” (the report is with English summary);
- recommendations to the draft National Conception on Social Policy until 2023;
- recommendations to the Poverty Reduction Strategy until 2020 (approved in 2016);
- comments to the draft Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine to Reform Public Administration in the Field of Employment and Social Insurance against Unemployment;”
- proposals to optimization the social service system on regional and local levels.
Technical assistance was provided to the development and / or amendment of more than 26 legislative documents, 11 of them were adopted by the Government. Among them:
- Recommendations for the draft Law of Ukraine “On Amending Certain Laws of Ukraine on Social Services” (to the Law “On Social Services”) (were taken into account in the adopted Law #4523-VI as of 15 March 2012).
- Recommendations to the list of social services (were taken into account in “The List of social services provided to persons who are in difficult circumstances and cannot independently overcome them”, approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine #537 as of 3 September 2012).
- The Order on the Assessment of Community Needs in Social Services (approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine #28 as of 20 January 2014).
- The Methodical Recommendations on Assessment of Community Needs in Social Services (was approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine #648 as of 15 October 2012).
- The State Standard of Day Care Services (approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine #452 as of 30 July 2013).
- The Oder on Social Commissioning (was approved by the Act of the Cabinet of Ministries of Ukraine #234 as of 29 April 2013).
- The package of documents on social commissioning with budget funding (The draft Law on Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine on Implementation of Social Commissioning, the draft Methodical Recommendations on evaluation of proposals on social commissioning, the Contract Template for raising budget funding for social services delivery, the draft Valuation Method of bids to raise budget funding for social services delivery).
- The draft Methodical Recommendations on Calculation of Costs of Social Services, as well as the Template for Calculation of the Cost of Social Service.
- Based on above-mentioned draft Methodical Recommendations on Calculation of Costs of Social Services, the State Standard of Day Care Services and example of calculation of the cost of the Day Care Services, the Normative for Financing Day Care Services was developed and approved by the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine (the Order #527 as of 23 August 2013).
- The Methodical Recommendations on Social Services Quality Assurance (approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy #904 as of 27 December 2013).
- The draft Standard Regulation on Social Service for families at municipal, rayon and district state administration, which also includes typical structure and staff list.
- The draft Regulation on Territorial Centres.
- The draft Methodical Recommendations on Categorization of Social Services Clients Depending on Their Needs and Determination of Time Norms for Provision of Services to Clients.
- The draft State standard of the social service of social support for families or individuals who are in difficult life circumstances.
- Methodical recommendations for the supervision of social services (approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine # 5 as of 05 January 2015).
- Methodical recommendations on public awareness on social services (approved by the Order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine # 828 as of 28 October 2014).
- Proposals to the Interim Regulation on the integrated centre of social services.
- Drafts of model regulation, structure and staff list of the integrated centre of social services.
- Methodical Recommendations on Evaluation of Proposals on Social Commissioning (approved by the order of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine # 332 as of 26 March 2015).
- Job description of Social Worker.
The UNDP is fostering implementation of reforms in social services sector through institutional capacity development. With the assistance of the Project “Support to the Social Sector Reform in Ukraine”, more than 2,000 representatives of departments of social protection and social service providers across all regions of Ukraine were trained on planning, management and delivery of social services (such as assessment of community needs in social services, social commissioning, quality assurance, standards, public awareness, calculation of costs of social service, management of territorial centers which provide social services, support to the internally displaced people in Ukraine, etc.).
Advisory support was provided to the local authorities of all regions of Ukraine with regard to the implementation of social commissioning; to the local authorities and social institutions in Poltava pilot oblast for testing a model of public awareness on social services.
Project experts developed a range of methodical recommendations, guidelines and manuals, such as:
For specialists of social security system and social services the Project prepared and published two manuals:
- “Management of Social Services”;
- “Conducting Public Awareness on Social and Rehabilitation Services”.
For internally displaced persons (IDPs) in response to immediate needs 4 roadmaps were developed:
- «Roadmap for IDPs-1: general questions»;
- «Roadmap for IDPs-2: psychological advice»;
- «Roadmap for IDPs-3: employment»;
- «Roadmap for IDPs-4: updated information».
For the staff of social security system and social services, as well as for volunteers, psychologists and all interested persons the Project released:
For professionals who provide social services, the Project developed:
- Methodical recommendations on Preventing and overcoming professional and emotional burnout.
Who Finances it?
The Project is supported by United Nations Development Programme.
Delivery in previous fiscal year
|Donor name||Amount contributed per year|
- Project start date:
- Estimated end date:
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus Area:
- MDGs, Poverty Reduction, Prosperity
- Eradicate Extreme Hunger and Poverty
- Project officer:
- Olena Ivanova
- Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine