#UINN Youth Innovations Challenge: teams from Lviv, Kyiv, and Mykolaiv share awards for 15,000 USDNov 27, 2017
Twelve teams of young semi-finalists from different regions of Ukraine presented their innovation ideas during the U-Inn Pitching Day, held in Kyiv November 25. They were all participants in the Youth Innovation Challenge U-Inn, encouraging young people to develop innovative initiatives to improve the respect of human rights and strengthening democracy in Ukraine at the local level.
An independent jury chose three winners in the following categories: Technological innovation, Social script, and Social entrepreneurship. They received 5,000 USD each to implement their project in the coming three months. Two additional special prizes were awarded in the nominations: "Innovations for the Donbas" (for teams from Luhansk and Donetsk Oblast) and “Anti-corruption at local level”.
The winning teams are:
- Social script nomination: “Communication without limitations’’, Kyiv oblast. The innovation aims to prevention discrimination and stigmatization of youth with disabilities by creating an environment for communication between students and people with intellectual disabilities.
- Technological solutions: ‘’Inclusive e-democracy’’, Lviv oblast. The team will adapt websites for e-governance to meet the needs of people with disabilities, and will conduct an advocacy campaign on its usage.
- Social entrepreneurship: ‘’Co-working centre in a new way’’, Mykolaiv oblast. Activists will set up a center for socio-cultural development of the disadvantaged straits of population of Domanivka village and Domanivsky rayon.
- Special innovation for Donbas: ‘’Colours of life’’, Donetsk oblast. Innovative idea of creating video stories of 3-5 people, whose rights are often violated. The innovation of the NGO ‘’BabyLand’’ on creation of the center for the development of children with disabilities in Stanitsa Luhanska in the amount of $ 1,000 was supported.
- Special Anti-corruption nomination: ‘’Open Odesa” project on analyzing of the Odesa city council decision to inform civic activists, journalists in the accessible and understandable format.
The Youth Innovation Challenge U-Inn aims at supporting young people from all regions of Ukraine to develop and implement innovative initiatives and projects, focused on improving the situation in human rights field and strengthening democracy in Ukraine at the local level.
The winners will implement their projects within 3 months with the UNDP support. In March 2018, the implemented projects will be presented at the UInn Youth Innovation Festival.
U-Inn is an initiative of the United Nations Development Programme in Ukraine in partnership with the Ministry of Youth and Sports of Ukraine within the framework of the “Civil Society for Enhanced Democracy and Human Rights in Ukraine” project, financially supported by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.