Ukraine has a long list of the reform priorities in the area of sustainable energy and environment (SEE). However, their introduction is slowed down by the difficulties in the legislation adoption and the low quality of some legal initiatives. To speed up the sustainable energy and environment related reforms and ensure representation of the SEE issues in the governmental programmes, UNDP Ukraine seeks to improve the capacity of the Parliament of Ukraine and enhance environmental advocacy among politicians, mass media and the public through the new project implementation.
The Project aims to support the Parliament members and the relevant Parliament Committees (specifically, on Environmental Policy, Nature Resources Utilization and Elimination of the Consequences of Chornobyl Catastrophe and on Fuel and Energy Complex, Nuclear Policy and Nuclear Safety) with quality analytical support on the legislation making, organization of stakeholders’ consultations, round tables, development of communication products, and engagement of various stakeholders into the SEE issues.
In addition, the Project’s objective is to increase visibility of SEE issues during the Presidential and Parliamentary elections through development and implementation of advocacy strategy on the green component in the pre-election programmes.
The Project will work in close alignment with the EU-UNDP Rada for Europe Project that provides broader institutional support to strengthen the Parliament of Ukraine in line with its reform strategy, including through a more coherent legislative process, which will benefit all areas, including SEE.
Project Goals and Activities
The Project will be implemented through the two components.
The first component will include the establishment of the Sustainable Energy and Environment Secretariat as a think-tank focusing on the provision of analytical support covering a wide range of issues in the SEE area, including climate change mitigation and adaption; energy efficiency; waste management; natural resources management; environmental pollution; mitigation of the negative environmental consequences of the ongoing armed conflict in the east of Ukraine, as well as to greening the development path of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.
The Sustainable Energy and Environment Secretariat will perform the following activities on a regular basis:
· development of analytical papers, articles and other informational notes on various SEE issues;
· creation and dissemination of policy briefs, policy papers, statements, etc.;
· analysis of draft legislation, strategies and plans for implementation of the state policy in SEE area;
· organization of national and regional public as well as capacity-building events, involving Parliament members, Government representatives and think-tanks (discussions, roundtables, meetings, public hearings).
The second component involves the improvement of the visibility of sustainable energy and environmental issues during the 2019 Presidential and Parliament elections among the representatives of the Parliament, Government, local authorities, as well as the general public through the conduction of advocacy campaign as well as provision of analytical support.
· The work of the Parliament of Ukraine on sustainable energy and environment issues is strengthened through the establishment and functioning of the Sustainable Energy and Environment Secretariat;
· The visibility of sustainable energy and environmental issues during the 2019 Presidential and Parliament elections is increased.