The project helps Ukraine to fulfill its global environment management commitments and plans on responding to multilateral agreements, in particular the Montreal Protocol and the Vienna Convention on Protection of Ozone Layer to which the country is a Party.
The project aims at addressing incomplete knowledge and awareness issues, contributing to regional information exchange and networking as well as ensuring capacity building and technical assistance provision at national level.
· Create a favorable environment for protection of ozone layer in Ukraine.
· Increase capacities of customs and environmental officers to prevent illegal ozone-depleting substances (ODS) trade.
· Support technological conversion to HCFC–free substances in selected private companies.
· Legislative and policy options for HCFC phase-out and control provided.
· Capacity building for enforcement of HCFC control measures conducted.
· Support for the development of regional institutions, capacity and cooperation provided.
· Formal HCFC phase-out strategy and action plan developed.
· Targeted phase-out investment and demonstration projects implemented.
Draft Law on Protection of Ozone Layer in Ukraine is developed and published on the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine website.