Ukraine has a long list of reform priorities in the area of sustainable energy and the environment (SEE). However, their introduction is being slowed by difficulties in adopting legislation and the low quality of some legal initiatives. This project aims to foster sustainable energy and environment-related reforms, as well as ensuring SEE issues are among the priorities of the government of Ukraine.
The project aims to support parliament members and the relevant parliament committees (specifically, on Environmental Policy, Nature Resources Utilization and Elimination of the Consequences of the Chornobyl Catastrophe and on the Fuel and Energy Complex, Nuclear Policy and Nuclear Safety) with quality analytical support in drafting legislation, organizing stakeholder consultations and roundtables for partners, developing communication products, and involving stakeholders in the discussion of SEE issues.
In addition, the project’s objective is to increase the visibility of SEE issues during presidential and parliamentary elections through developing and implementing an advocacy strategy for green policies in election manifestos.
The project is executed in close alignment with the EU-UNDP Rada for Europe Project, which provides broad organizational support and contributes to capacity building of the Parliament of Ukraine for developing quality legislation and implementing reforms, including the SEE agenda.
The Project consists of two components:
The establishment of the Sustainable Energy and Environment Secretariat
This is a think tank that provides analytical support covering a wide range of issues in the SEE area, including the following:
- climate change mitigation and adaption;
- energy efficiency;
- waste management;
- natural resources management;
- environmental pollution;
- mitigation of the negative environmental consequences of the ongoing armed conflict in the east of Ukraine;
- the “green” development of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.
Support is provided as follows:
- developing analytical papers, articles and other informational materials on various SEE issues;
- creating and disseminating policy briefs, policy papers, statements, etc.;
- analysing draft legislation, strategies and plans for the implementation of state policy in the SEE area;
- organizing events at both the national and regional scale, as well as events to strengthen the capacity of members of parliament, government representatives and think tanks (in the formats of discussions, round tables, meetings, and public hearings).
Improvement of the visibility of sustainable energy and environmental issues during the 2019 presidential and parliament elections
This component includes the following:
- raising awareness about SEE issues among representatives of the parliament, the government, local authorities and the general public;
- conducting an advocacy campaign;
- providing analytical support;
- including the environmental component in election manifestos.
- The work of the Parliament of Ukraine on sustainable energy and environment issues is strengthened through the establishment and functioning of the Sustainable Energy and Environment Secretariat;
- The visibility of sustainable energy and environmental issues during the 2019 presidential and parliament elections is increased.