The project's goal is to renovate the hydrological regime at the Smolyanka irrigation system in Nizhyn rayon, Chernigiv Oblast, bringing it to a semi-natural condition by increasing the level of ground water.
The implementation of the project will lead to the improvement of the ecological situation, prevent peatland fires, preserve biodiversity, strengthen the health of local population, and also lead to the reduction of the greenhouse gas emissions in Ukraine.
Project Goals and Activities
· Cleaning four water reservoirs (total square of 21 hectares) for water storage in Nizhyn rayon, Chernigiv Oblast (pilot area).
· Repairing the two hydrotechnical installations in the pilot location to protect the environment in Ukraine.
· Four water reservoirs in the pilot area renovated.
· The ecological situation is improved and biodiversity preserved in Nizhyn rayon of Chernigiv Oblast.
· The greenhouse gas emissions from the renovated peatlands is decreased.
· The health of the local population (est. 100,000 people) is strengthened.