The project goal is to renovate the hydrological regime at the irrigation system Smolyanka (Nizhyn rayon, Chernigiv oblast) to semi-natural condition by increasing the level of ground water.
The implementation of the project activities will lead to the improvement of the ecological situation, prevention of the peatland fires, preservation of the biodiversity, strengthening of the health of local population as well as to the reduction of the greenhouse gas emissions in Ukraine.
Project Goals and Activities
· Cleaning four water reservoirs (total square of 21 ha) for water storage in Nizhyn rayon, Chernigiv oblast (pilot area).
· Repairing the two hydrotechnical installations in the pilot location to protect the environment in Ukraine.
· Four water reservoirs in the pilot area renovated.
· The ecological situation improved and the biodiversity preserved in Nizhyn rayon of Chernigiv oblast.
· The greenhouse gas emissions from the renovated peatlands decreased.
· The health of the local population (est. 100,000 people) strengthened.